Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Four eyes!

Like Big Foot or the Lochness monster Brides in glasses are rare cryptic creatures that are only photographed in fuzzy old movies.

Well I am a glasses wearing freak. I have been for as long as I can remember. I know there are pictures of me from when I was really little running around without, but I was probably just as blind then.

My eyesight is on par with moles and any other cave dwelling creatures. So I couldn't really imagine spending a day without my glasses, which makes everything visible and shiny. (I did try contacts once, totally not for me.)

But it seems as though in the pursuit for perfection it is about impossible to really find a bride that doesn't care if she's called a nerd or a dork on her wedding (If you worry about a pantsing you may need to re-work that guest list). The reasoning is for fear that pictures won't come out. I am hard pressed to think of a time in my 20 years of glasses there was a picture that would have been perfect if it weren't for my glasses. And even if the refraction from a flash is an issue you can get a coating put on your glasses to stop just that. (it also seems to help keep them from fogging up which rules!)

Offbeat bride has a small q&a on glasses, about the only article I could find on it. I have no idea why glasses are seen as so taboo for a bride to wear (though it doesn't seem as bad for the groom which is good as mine has them as well). You will not look less like a bride if you wear the glasses that you have worn your entire life. You do not have to try contacts just for your wedding day so that people will think you look more like the insane standard of beauty. Glasses don't make you look like a dweeb, they just are who you are (levels of smartness people believe you to be on the other hand can come in handy for convincing people you are a rocket scientist Just mention Goddard a lot.).

On my wedding day I'd rather look like me than someone I've never really seen or met before, and no matter what you do I look like a nerd. So for all those brides out there that are four eyes, let out a yell that we're gonna keep our beloved eyesight just the way it is and damn the naysayers.

5 comments:

Jenna said...

I don't have glasses (diehard contacts wearer myself) but I strongly applaud brides who choose to be a little bit different and look a little bit more like themselves.

Kara said...

Good for you!! I love my contacts, I'm always pushing up slipping glasses. Talk to your photographer about ways to avoid glare and things like that in pics. I was all set to wear my glasses cause I didn't think I'd be able to afford my contacts before the wedding. As long as you like your glasses and you will look like yourself, who cares? Who's wedding is it? I think it's yours...

Cate Subrosa said...

This is just another part of the very worrying idea that many brides seem to have that they will magically turn into someone else - someone 'perfect' - on their wedding day.

This was a great post. Just be you, it's just a party :)

jennifer said...

I wear glasses for distances. Usually only driving and movies and big spaces like malls. But I think I will bust mine out at the reception (especially when the sun goes down) so I can identify all of my guests and not be squinty. Soemone did suggest I get contacts for the wedding day. That is unreal to me. I wear glasses 10% of the time, but they are ME, so I'm going to wear them!

cara said...

Have you seen Miss Gummibear from Weddingbee's wedding photos? She wore glasses and they rocked!

I wear them everyday but I'm wearing contacts for the wedding,I'm doing lots of things for the wedding that I'd like to do every day but am too lazy - wearing contacts, curling my hair, putting on make up, wearing nail polish, having a shower.....