Sunday, August 3, 2008

Makin' it all official

This past Friday was the day we declared to do the one legal part of this whole wedding planning thing, we went out and got our license. (Some of it got bumped up as I had a meeting for a new job! Yay, I get to start working with animals instead of plants!)Thankfully my MOH had already gotten married and been through it all so I knew that for some reason we had to know where our parents were born. I really have no idea why, I mean are they worried that we might be pretending to be someone else and only by having us write down where our parents were born will we prove to be the true couple and not some Bonnie & Clyde wannabes?

I'm still not sure if it's a bad omen or not but upon getting to the office of Deeds no one really seemed in the mood to help us and when someone finally did her printer refused to work so we got bumped to someone else. After she typed all our data in (including the much important birthplace of our third cousin twice removed) she mistyped my father's middle initial, it's an S and she put in a J.

Not a big deal, I pointed it out and she did something (as you'll see I have no idea what) and printed it off again. It was still a J. I realized that I don't think they'll refuse us getting married if my Dad has a different initial now and shut up.

So we signed the thing, paid the $20 and collected our fancy pants collectors edition as well as the one we have to send in (and is rather dull to look at). I was peeking through the packet they gave us and realized that it included how to go about changing ones social security card as well as voter stuff, so I don't look forward to having to fill out those forms (or waiting in the horrific lines).

If you're wondering about the Taco Bell cup and hot sauce packet we thought we'd celebrate getting the official and the decorative pieces of paper by making a run to the boarder. It was just too much fun getting a hold of one of those "Will you Marry Me?" packets so I felt it had to be included.

I'm really not sure what we'll do with it when the thing's signed and all, we're not really certificate people (I have no idea where any of my diplomas are) so maybe I'll just glue it into my growing scrapbook. Maybe one day I'll show off that thing thats included just as much planning of the wedding as well as activities (mostly the shower so far). I figure I'm putting so much work into thinking of and making stuff for this thing that it should be retained in pictures for years to come as well.

That or I can use it to scare the crap out of any future brides.

P.S. I just realized this is post 100! So let's all have some cake.

4 comments:

Linda said...

I went to the DMV over the weekend to change my driver's licence. Let tell you how not fun that was.

Ms. 122 said...

yay! congrats on 100! and on getting the marriage license! you're almost there!

Rachel said...

Congrats on the license!!!
And the 100 posts!

Cate Subrosa said...

Congratulations on the hundred posts, the marriage license *and* the new job. Wow, what a day!