Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Hurray, we have a honeymoon

I'm sure most normal people would have had their honeymoon all planned and figured out a good 6 months before the wedding, leaving them ample opportunity to purchase lots of clothes (and various other sundries) for the trip.

Well we did ours with about oh 6 weeks to go.

Over this labor day weekend my guy was getting horribly bored (you know he really needs a good nickname like That Guy or Curly Haired Boy. I did call him Bubba for a week when we were first dating or there is his much beloved but never used Dickey-G) so while I was doing some organizing (it's amazing how small magazine get when you rip out all the stuff you don't want) I suggested that maybe he should look into planning the other half of our honeymoon.

I'd many moons ago set about figuring out the first half. We'd sort of decided that we didn't want to go anywhere exotic that required a plane trip and really just wanted to go somewhere where there were lots of trees and nature. So I suggested Minesotta, specifically the Park Rapids area that my family and I would attend when I was younger.

After doing some hunting and searching I found that we could stay in a little cabin at Itasca State Park. This is best known as the Headwaters of the Mississippi. (It's also really pretty, when they aren't doing controlled burns).

We might also make some trips around the area (see Paul and Babe) but the general thought was to spend a few days just relaxing and winding down from the wedding.

You should have seen the look on his Chicago born and raised parents when saying that he'd be spending the honeymoon at a lodge. "Would you be . . . fishing?"

Realizing that yes it may get a tad dull especially in the off season, and he's never been fishing in his entire life, we decided a few days spent in nature and then spend the rest of the week in the twin cities would fit better. Hence his job this weekend.

While he was picking a motel to stay at I got a little idea in my head (first I had to prove that the Mall is in Bloomington, I don't know why I remembered that but I did) and then I started to mess around on one of our all time favorite shows websites, MST3K. It was filmed in the twin cities area (Eden Prairie and yes I know I am a nerd).

I thought it'd be fun to look at their calendar and see if anything might be going on in October. (For those who don't know what MST3K is it's a simple formula, a guy and two robots watch bad movies and make fun of them. It ran for 10 years and was canceled back in '99) I saw a little something called Cinematic Titanic Live!(I've been a pretty bad fan as I had no idea what this was).

It turns out that the last day we'd be in the area some of the originial creators and actors of the show get together at a theatre and riff on a bad movie. So it's basically the show, but live!

Sorry, I am sure that all you Non-MSTies have no idea why it's so exciting but I was much to young when they did some live shows back in the mid 90's and then the poor thing got the boot. So the idea that the one week when we are in the area they are doing a live show is just fantastic and surprising and makes me really really happy (really really REALLY HAPPY!)

Now we just have to figure out what to do the other 4 days. Anyone got any suggestions, aside from The Mall?

5 comments:

Jenna said...

Oh a Mystery Science stop on the honeymoon! I love it! And, for the record, I think spending some time in nature, spending some time away from the hustle and bustle reconnecting, is the perfect way to spend a honeymoon.

Rachel said...

I think the spending time in nature - especially when it will be crisp and cool outside (perfect for snuggling!) - that sounds great.

We're going to Cabo, which I am really excited about - there's lots of other things to do there than just lay out on the beach. But the main reason we chose it was $$$ - we used our airline miles to get there, and by booking an all-inclusive, we're getting a hotel and our food/drinks for the price of many hotels up here.

Booking the honeymoon is so much fun!!

megan said...

Um, yeah, i have no idea about anything you just wrote about EXCEPT for MST3K. HOLY CRAPOLY!!!!! I freaking LOVED that show. I was super young when it was on tv but i thought it was the most brilliant thing on earth (or not on earth as it were).
That's brilliant. Good for you guys, sounds unique and very memorable, just as a honeymoon should be. :)

Anonymous said...

I just want to say first of all I love your blog, I always check it out when you post on weddingbook. Anyway, I'm from Minnesota and it is a wonderful place. For starters, the Mall of America is in Bloomington! http://www.mallofamerica.com/contact_us.aspx
It's almost in Richfield though.

So, what to do in Minnesota... Do you want to stay in the Cities area? You could go to the Walker Art Center and the Sculpture Garden. The Minneapolis Institute of Art is pretty cool. If you are interested, you could take the 2.5 hour drive to Duluth and check out the harbor and Aerial Lift Bridge. The ships might still be coming in. There is also Glensheen Mansion in Duluth which is an amazing house where two people were murdered. http://www.d.umn.edu/glen/visit.html

So, here are some ideas. If you want to contact me, I'm on facebook and wedding book, you can also get a hold of me through the website listed! Good luck!

Anonymous said...

That looks fabulous. I want to come!

I live in the Twin Cities too, and there is tons of awesome stuff to do here. The Walker and the Sculpture Garden are great. Even if you don't love modern art, check out the sculpture garden, it's a lovely place to spend an hour or two on a fall afternoon. There are lots of great places for food, everything from brunch to snacks to meals. Take a walk down Summit Avenue in St. Paul and gawk at all the gorgeous old houses. Rent bikes from Calhoun cycle and check out the greenway, or canoe out on Lake Calhoun. Go bowling at the Bryant Lake Bowl and have a pint from their delicious and well-stocked bar (that's where we're having our wedding reception, and it's such a great time). There's lots of great theater companies here, you could get rush tickets for something at the Guthrie or find a smaller outfit like Nautilus or Walking Shadow or In The Heart Of The Beast.