Sunday, February 15, 2009

Spoon Painting

Remember that stormy picture I took a while back I said I should turn into a painting? Well I did it.

But I didn't want to do just a simple attempt at making clouds (which I suck at), I wanted the sky to be the main focus and jump out at you more so I decided to try adding some texture.

Your normal, sane painter would use what's called a pallet knife. It looks kinda like a putty knife and is about as flexible as rubber so you can twist it around and flop paint in pretty patterns.

Well I don't own a pallet knife (though it does sound like a fun toy), but what I do own is a spoon and a butter knife!

Using those two objects (and really just those two) I set about trying to make a stormy sky. The tree and landscape however were done with a paintbrush (spoons are not so good at fine details, they're more of a big picture kinda tool).Sadly a lot is lost when trying to turn something that's supposed to be three dimensional two, but I really liked the effect I got using the spoon. I am tempted to try something like it again only maybe for rocks or water next time.

5 comments:

DCKate said...

that's awesome. i love the texture of the tree against the sky!

Anonymous said...

That's neat! I think that using your knife/spoon technique for water or rocks would be really cool!

Mrs. Not-so-Domesticated said...

I know absolutely nothing about painting, but I like the look of it. Great textures...

Linda said...

The textures look amazing!

AmyJean {Relentless Bride®} said...

Each picture is better than the last... is this possible? You definitely have a talent... i'm glad i get to watch you nurture it :)
RelentlessBride