Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Purple

As you may have noticed the internet has been turning purple today.

If you're not certain why it's to honor the 6 people that took their lives thanks to bullying because they were gay.

I've been wearing this all day as I don't actually own anything purple in real life (nor does anyone aside from the dog really see me):
And I've been turning other people's avatars purple that asked trying to help out in some sort of way with a show of solidarity.


I, like every other person on this planet, faced bullying when I was younger, but I was lucky to have been born straight.

I never had to come to the realization that my sexual preferences don't match up with what society deems correct and then proceed to worry each time if a certain someone found out who could hurt me emotionally or physically.

I've never been told that I was an abomination unto the Lord (though judging by the stuff I keep in the garage I must be getting close) and should have been stoned.

I've never faced down the othering of a person declaring something they find annoying, fruitless or sparkly "gay."

I've never had my bedroom choices and love policed by the moral right because they think they know what's best for everyone else.

Truly I've had it far better than so many all because of how I was born. So why are so many tormented, hurt, crushed, denied, and killed all because of how they are born?

That's why I wear purple.

No comments: